Welcome to Exile’s Submittable platform, open to receive your literary and visual arts submissions for our publishing consideration.
At Exile Editions (books) and EXILE Quarterly (literary & visual arts magazine, issued 4 times a year) we are publishers of fiction, poetry, non-fiction, drama, and art – with some 500 books and over 170 issues published since 1972.
We are, most notably, two very distinct operations, with mandates and missions specific to each organization: Exile Editions is a for-profit entity that produces an annual list of books (back to 1975), whereas The Excelsis Group – publishing EXILE Quarterly, first issue released in 1972 – undertakes educational programs codifying its broad educational mandate.
We accept submissions for:
1) Fiction, poetry, non-fiction, drama, and visual arts that a) relate to the magazine, and b) as individual authored titles, and/or for our various anthology series.
2) The $15,000 Carter V. Cooper Short Fiction competition. Note: in 2022, after a wonderful decade in which we awarded over $125,000 to Canadian writers, the CVC prize came to an end in 2021 – but… in the autumn of 2022 we will launch the new Morley Callaghan Short Fiction Literary Competition and Awards!
3) The $3,000 Gwendolyn MacEwen Poetry competition/award. Year Nine submissions close on September 15, 2022.
4) Works by unsolicited writers, to be considered by Exile Editions (book manuscripts) and EXILE Quarterly (individual contributions). Be it a full manuscript, or individual work, we have a *no multiple submissions* policy - i.e. when submitting to us, do not send the same material to other publishers. Please see our Submittable guidelines, or our mail-in submission guidelines (available at: www.ExileQuarterly.com).
EXILE: The Literary Quarterly supports, encourages, and presents a vital and diverse arts ecology that enriches the reading and cultural experiences of our Canadian and international newsstand and subscription readers.
EXILE publishes literary and speculative fiction, poetry, non-fiction, drama, translations, and a wide range of visual arts/artists, from across Canada and around the world.
We publish quarterly, and in those 4 issues per year feature approximately 60 - 70 contributors.
Only previously unpublished material will be considered for publication. We look for progressive talent who have previously published through to new talent redefining the boundaries of contemporary literature and art.
$10 fee required for Submittable, or if submitting by Canada Post (cheque) – or by e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org (important: indicate what the fee relates to).
We consider a strong narrative voice, memorable characters, and a unique flair that aspires to represent the diverse Canadian mosaic.
This content can appear in any of our feature sections – Word & Art, Gravitas, My Five, among others – but also can be stand-alone social or political commentary. We look for well-considered (and researched) writing with a literary style that will interest our readership and experts alike. We avoid dry, jargon-filled academic prose.
We look for a distinct voice found in the lines. We are open to all forms of poetic approaches.
Works in translation (fiction and poetry) include Francophone into English, as well as international authors into English (most often translated by Canadians). Our long-standing tradition of supporting translation includes over 400 such works to date.
A self-contained selection from a larger work, or a short/complete dramatic piece.
For over 45 years we have presented an incredibly wide range of visual approaches: painting, drawing, photography, illustration, mixed media, sculpture – publishing anything that is rooted in integrity, displays purpose, and that will resonate with our readers.
Consider if your submission is compatible with our publishing program: we assume you have read previous issues... but if not, take the time to look at past issues (contributors) on our website – or perhaps consider ordering previous print copies to familiarize yourself with our 50 years and over 2,500 contributions-to-date.
Using Submittable (also applicable for snail mail):
• Cover Letter telling us about yourself and your contribution.
• Brief CV indicating only your publishing-related history (if applicable).
• Fiction – please try to stay under 3,500 words.
• Poetry – a suite of 8 to 10 poems.
• Non-fiction – an outline of the concept, plus either the complete text, or a sample.
• Art with Non-fiction (or vice versa; or with fiction; or poetry) the proposed contribution in its entirety (as a PDF in 72 dpi resolution).
• Drama – it must be a complete work, eg. an Act from a full play that stands on its own, or a short play – either option, up to 10 pages.
• Visual Art - 4 to 8 selections of art that will work as a stand-alone section.
After submitting, please be patient. We receive some 500 unsolicited submissions a year (plus those by way of other open calls, such as our literary competitions and editor-recommendations) and it takes time for them to be evaluated. We aim to respond to all submissions within three months.
Send us a submission if you have sent it out to other publishers for consideration.
Send us a submission if you are not a Canadian citizen or resident. We do not accept unsolicited materials from non-Canadian writers (although we do publish international writers based on recommendation).
Send us your submission electronically to an Exile Quarterly email account.
Contact us regarding the status of your submission. We keep track of all submissions received. (However, if four months have passed, you may email us at email@example.com)
Expect feedback. We do not offer editorial comment on submissions unless we feel the work has potential for inclusion in our magazine.
We still do old school…
POSTAL MAIL – SUBMIT TO:
(please indicated: Attn: fiction / poetry / non-fiction / drama / visual arts editor)
170 Wellington Street West
PO Box 308
Mount Forest ON N0G 2L0
Important: include a cover letter with your contact details, and any other relevant information.
Recycle: we do not return submissions; all materials are recycled, or properly disposed of.
$10 Fee for submitting: this goes to the editors who read and consider the submissions.
1) Apply to your Submittable submission.
2) If submitting by Canada Post, include a cheque payable to THE EXCELSIS GROUP.
3) If submitting by Canada Post, make an e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org (important: indicate what the fee relates to).